of Solomon Salant
Generation No. 3
7. ROBERT SOLOMON4 SALANT (ROBERT SOLOKON3, SOLOMON2, GABRIEL1 ?) was born March 28, 1914, and died January 28, 1979. He married (1) MARGARET BROWNELL. He married (2) KATHERINE WILL. He married (3) MARILYN MOFFAT. She was born November 14, 1940.
Notes for ROBERT SOLOMON SALANT:
Robert S. Salant joined Salant Corporation in 1935 and, except for three years during World War II when he served as an officer in the U.S. Navy, worked for the corporation until his death on January 28, 1979. From 1946, he served as President, Chairman of the Executive Committee and Chairman of the Board of the corporation.
More About ROBERT SOLOMON
More About MARILYN MOFFAT:
Children of ROBERT SALANT and MARGARET BROWNELL are:
8. ETHEL4 SALANT (GABRIEL3, SOLOMON2, GABRIEL1 ?) was born June 18, 1903, and died February 23, 1983 in New York, NY. She married MORTIMER RODGERS. He was born January 13, 1898, and died 1971 in New York, NY.
More About ETHEL SALANT:
More About MORTIMER
Child of ETHEL SALANT and MORTIMER RODGERS is:
More About JOHN RODGERS:
More About JANET KAPLAN:
9. MARIE4 SALANT (AARON B.3, SOLOMON2, GABRIEL1 ?) was born December 14, 1908, and died May 11, 1997. She married ROY R. NEUBERGER June 29, 1932. He was born July 21, 1903 and died December 24, 2010.
More About MARIE SALANT:
More About ROY R. NEUBERGER:
Children of MARIE SALANT and ROY NEUBERGER are:
More About JIM NEUBERGER:
More About HELEN STAMBLER:
10. WALTER4 SALANT (AARON B.3, SOLOMON2, GABRIEL1 ?) was born October 24, 1911 in New York, NY, and died April 30, 1999 in Washington, D.C.. He married EDNA GOLDSTEIN January 25, 1939. She was born March 22, 1913 and died December 24, 2003 in Washington, D.C., USA.
Notes for WALTER SALANT:
Walter S. Salant was born in New York City on October 24, 1911 and died in Washington, D.C. on April 30, 1999. He attended the Fieldston School in New York. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard University in 1933, and then went off to Cambridge, England, where he studied under John Maynard Keynes. He then returned to Harvard for additional studies. He married Edna Goldstein in 1939.
He left Harvard for a series of government positions. He served in the Treasury Department, the Security and Exchange Commission and the Commerce Department in the 1930's and the office of Price Administration in the 1940's. He served as a senior staff member for international relations on the President's Council of Economic Advisers from 1946-52. He left the government in 1954 to become a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C. He retired from Brookings in 1976, but stayed on in an emeritus position until 1995.
He is credited with helping to internationalize Keynes theories. He helped convince the Truman Administration that the proposed Marshall Plan was affordable, financially feasible and would not cause ruinous inflation.
Source: New York Times obituary, May 3, 1999
More About WALTER SALANT:
More About EDNA GOLDSTEIN:
Children of WALTER SALANT and EDNA GOLDSTEIN are:
More About MICHAEL SALANT:
20. ii. STEPHEN SALANT, b. September 16, 1945.
11. WILLIAM AARON4 SALANT (AARON B.3, SOLOMON2, GABRIEL1 ?) was born August 10, 1916 in New York, NY, and died July 02, 1966. He married DOROTHY GRIESBACH March 25, 1956 in Lexington, Mass.. She was born July 10, 1927.
Notes for WILLIAM AARON SALANT:
William Aaron Salant was born on August 10, 1916 in New York City. He attended Fieldston School, and graduated summa cum laude from Harvard University class of 1937. He received an M.A. from Harvard in 1941.
After spending four years in Washington, D.C., he joined the Army and the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) in 1942. He and a small group of economists were sent to London to work on the selection of targets for strategic bombing. He next was sent to the Mediterranean, first near Tunis and then at Caserta, near Naples, to do more selection of bombing targets.
After the war, he spent close to three years in the State Department, working on the economic side of German occupation policy. In 1953, he moved to Brandeis University, where he taught economics, while living in Cambridge, Mass. He did a lot of writing on his own and consulting work in international economic, both for private organizations and the government. At various times, he worked for the U.S. Federal Reserve and many other government agencies, and was an independent consultant for Brookings Institution.
In 1961, he moved to Chico, California in the Sacramento Valley. He died on July 2, 1966.
Sources: Autobiography written for Harvard Class of 1937 25th anniversary plus obituary in Harvard Class of 1937 30th anniversary report.
More About WILLIAM AARON SALANT:
More About DOROTHY GRIESBACH:
Children of WILLIAM SALANT and DOROTHY GRIESBACH are:
More About NICHOLAS
22. iii. ANTHONY SALANT, b. November 07, 1964.
12. HELEN4 SALANT (LOUIS3, SOLOMON2, GABRIEL1 ?) was born December 18, 1912 in New York, NY and died June 13, 2002. She married MYRON SAMUEL ISAACS, son of STANLEY ISAACS and EDITH SOMBORN. He was born June 13, 1911 in New York, NY, and died September 13, 1988 in White Plains, NY.
More About HELEN SALANT:
Notes for MYRON SAMUEL ISAACS:
Myron Isaacs was born on June 13, 1911 in New York City. He attended Horace Mann School for Boys in New York City, Dartmouth College (1932) and Yale Law School (1935). He was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He married Helen Salant on April 16, 1937. During World War II he served in the Coast Guard Reserve in Philadelphia.
During the main part of his law career, Isaacs mostly practiced corporate law. He was a government lawyer with the Internal Revenue Service (1941-42) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (1942-1955), mostly in Washington, D.C., although his agency was dispersed to Philadelphia during World War II. In 1955, he went into private practice in New York City with McGoldrick, Dannett, Horowitz & Golub (1955-1966), M.S. and I.S. Isaacs (1966-67), Hellerstein, Rosier & Rembar (1968-1972) and then a sole practice from 1972 until his death in 1988. He moved the family to White Plains, New York in 1957.
He was active in progressive causes and philanthropic work: Officer and director of the Westchester Civil Liberties Union, Westchester Legal Services, Westchester Citizens Committee of the National Council on Crime and Delinquency, Westchester Chapter of the American Jewish Committee, White Plains Human Rights Commission; Stanley M. Isaacs Neighborhood Center; Hamilton-Madison Association of New York and other groups. He also was a member of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NAACP, Democratic Party, American Jewish Committee and Counsel to the Urban League of Westchester.
He died in White Plains, New York on September 13, 1988.
More About MYRON SAMUEL
Children of HELEN SALANT and MYRON ISAACS are:
13. RICHARD4 SALANT (LOUIS3, SOLOMON2, GABRIEL1 ?) was born April 14, 1914 in New York, NY, and died February 16, 1993 in New Canaan, Connecticut. He married (1) ROSALIND ROBB. She was born June 11, 1918, and died February 14, 1990 in Tucson, Ariz.. He married (2) FRANCES TRAINER. She was born October 08, 1919.
Notes for RICHARD SALANT:
Richard Salant was born in Manhattan, New York on April 14, 1914 and died while living in New Canaan, Connecticut on February 16, 1993. He graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy (1931), Harvard University (magma cum laude in 1935) and Harvard law School (1938). He first married Rosalind Robb and then Frances Trainer. He had five children, Linda, Susan, Robb and Priscilla with his first wife and Sarah with his second wife.
He worked as an attorney with the U.S. government (1938-43), including the National Labor Relations Board, Attorney General's office and Solicitor General's office. From 1946-52, he was an associate and partner of the law firm Rosenman, Goldmark, Colin & Kay, with CBS as a principal client.
He left the law firm to join CBS as vice president. From 1961-64 and 1966-79, he was president of CBS News During a period of growth and controversy. During his tenure, CBS News was extended to a half an hour; he introduced new programs such as "60 Minutes," "CBS Morning News" and "Sunday Morning." There were also controversies over the coverage of the Vietnam war and the Watergate scandal. He was known as a staunch defender of First Amendment rights. After reaching the mandatory retirement age of 65, he joined NBC as Vice Chairman for a few years. He hired Mike Wallace, Dan Rather and Diane Sawyer, and worked closely with them and other journalists such as Walter Cronkite and Charles Kuralt. He was particularly proud of bringing more women into broadcasting.
More About RICHARD SALANT:
More About ROSALIND
More About FRANCES TRAINER:
Children of RICHARD SALANT and ROSALIND ROBB are:
Child of RICHARD SALANT
and FRANCES TRAINER is:
14. OLIVER4 WINTER (HARRIET3 SALANT, SOLOMON2, GABRIEL1 ?) was born December 21, 1926. He married (1) WILLA PETSCHEK. He married (2) SARA DEIBERT. He married (3) JACQUELYN CHAMBERS. She was born September 14, 1933.
More About OLIVER WINTER:
More About JACQUELYN
Children of OLIVER WINTER and SARA DEIBERT are:
More About JENNIFER
32. ii. CHRISTOPHER WINTER, b. December 13, 1963.