of Myer Samuel Isaacs
Generation No. 4
Children of ESTELLE ISAACS and ADAM FRANK are:
23. LEWIS MONTEFIORE4 ISAACS (MYER SAMUEL3, SAMUEL MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1) was born 1877 in New York, New York, USA and died December 12, 1944. He married EDITH JULIET RICH, daughter of ADOLF RICH and ROSA SEIDENBERG. She was born 1878 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA and died January 10, 1956.
Notes for LEWIS MONTEFIORE ISAACS: Lewis M. Isaacs was born in New York City in 1877. He joined the family law firm, M.S. & I.S. Isaacs, in 1903. He was
secretary and treasurer of the Beethoven Association and director of the
Musicians Foundation and the Edward Macdowell Association. He wrote songs
and compositions for piano and orchestra as well as books on music. He
was also trustee of the Isaacs family synagogue, Temple Shaarei Tefila
and a member and officer of several bar associations.
Source: Encyclopedia Judaica, Vol. 9
More About LEWIS MONTEFIORE ISAACS: Job: Lawyer and musician
Notes for EDITH JULIET RICH: Edith Rich Isaacs was active in the theatrical world. Born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, she became a literary editor of the "Milwaukee
Sentinel" in 1903 and wrote drama criticism of periodicals. Later she
was the editor and business manager of the quarterly "Theater Arts Magazine,"
which became the "Theatre Arts Monthly" in 1924. She edited "Theatre"
(1927), a collection of essays; "Plays of American Life and Fantasy" (1929);
and "Architect for the New Theatre" (1935), another collection of essays.
She also wrote "American Theatre in Social and Educational Life: a Survey
of its Needs and Opportunities" (1932) and "Negro in the American Theatre"
Children of LEWIS ISAACS and EDITH RICH are:
24. STANLEY MYER4 ISAACS (MYER SAMUEL3, SAMUEL MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1) was born September 27, 1882 in New York, NY, and died July 12, 1962 in New York, NY. He married EDITH SOMBORN, daughter of JULIUS SOMBORN and HELEN STIRN. She was born June 18, 1884, and died 1978 in New York, NY.
Notes for STANLEY MYER ISAACS:
Notes for EDITH SOMBORN: Edith Somborn Isaacs was born in New York City on June 18, 1884. She was educated in New York City and graduated from Barnard College with honors. She served as campaign manager for Stanley Isaacs for the last 25 years of their 52-year marriage. She served on board of Women's City Club of New York, Honorary Chairman of Stanley M. Isaacs Neighborhood Center, and served on boards of several other charitable organizations. She was a prolific writer of stories, plays and jingles. In 1967, she wrote "Love Affair With A City," a memoir about her husband Stanley M. Isaacs. She died in 1978.
Children of STANLEY ISAACS and EDITH SOMBORN are:
Children of ISABELLE ISAACS and EDGAR LEVY are:
26. FREDERICK MYER4 ISAACS (MYER LEWIS3, LEWIS MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1) (Source: e-mail from Elizabeth (Liz) Ann Foord, Sept. 14, 1997.) was born 1874, and died December 27, 1951 in London, England. He married IDA LOTTIE LOWENSTEIN on June 21, 1905. She was born 1877 and died April 15, 1940 in 142 Hendon Lane, Finchley, London,England.
More About FREDERICK ISAACS: Job: Worked for Ensign Cameras
Children of FREDERICK MYER ISAACS and IDA LOWENSTEIN are:
Children of SAMUEL LEVI and MABEL LYONS are:
28. EDMUND 4 LEVI (ANN3 ISAACS, LEWIS MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1) was born July 02, 1866 in Hackney, Middlesex, England. He married JOHANNA GERS 1896 in Nurenberg, Germany, daughter of JULIUS GERS and FREDERICKA BLUMENTHAL. She was born in Hope Town, South Africa, and died 1918 in Griquatown, South Africa.
Notes for EDMUND HARRY LEVI: At age 26, he left England for Kimberly, South Africa where he had been offered employment with a firm. Upon arriving in Kimberly, he found the firm in liquidation. But he met a farmer, shopkeeper and hotel proprietor named Mr. Wright, who offered him a job (Source: account from daughter Frieda). After working with Mr. Wright for some years, he left for Mazielsfontein, where his new employer was Juius Gers, who originally was from Germany. He courted and married the Gers daughter, Johanna Gers. They were married in 1906 in Nuremberg, Germany, where Johanna had been sent to finish her education. The couple lived in Griquatown and had 12 children. He was taken prisoner during the Boer War. He changed his name to Lee around 1940, and was babtised in the Christian church at the age of 78 adn buried as a Christian. His jobs included Merchant, shopkeeper, holtelier and Mayor of Griquatown.
Children of EDMUND LEVI and JOHANNA GERS are:
29. JENNIE 4 LEVI (ANN3 ISAACS, LEWIS MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1) was born 1870 in Islington, Middlesex, England, and died July 18, 1921 in Trichardt, Transvaal, South Africa.. She married FREDERICK HERO SIMMONS 1892 in Cape Town, South Africa, son of HENRY SIMMONS and ANNIE HARRIS. He was born May 05, 1866.
Notes for JENNIE LEVI: Jennie and her mother, Annie came by ship to Cape Town where Jennie and Frederick got married in 1892/3 and went to live in Hopetown, Cape Province where he practised medicine. Annie returned to live in England at some point after that.
Notes for FREDERICK HERO SIMMONS: Studied at Brighton College and later medicine at St. Bartholomew's Hospital. Went to HopeTown, South Africa after to practice medicine. He served as doctor for the army in the Boer War and later he had his own private practice in Johannesburg, before going to Trichardt in the Transvaal, where his wife Jennie died of pneumonia at the age of 52.
Children of JENNIE LEVI and FREDERICK HERO SIMMONS are:
Notes for MICHAEL MORRIS LEWIS: (Mick) Born 21/03/1868 (Tephilloth). Died 02/08/1947. Buried Row A4, Plot 19 in Old Hebrew Area, Waikumete Cemetery as advised by Mary Watson 28/03/99.Marriage: Michael Morris LEWIS 1897 Folio 3695 married Daisy BOYD. Probate: Michael Morris LEWIS died 12 Aug 1947 BBAE 1570 0978/47 Auckland.
More about MICHAEL MORRIS LEWIS: Michael commenced his commercial career working for a firm of jewellers, then with Kempthorne Prosser & Co., wholesale druggists. It was with the mercantile house of P. Hayman & Co., however, that he became so well identified. Their head office was in a handsome Edwardian commercial building on the north side of Customs St.,East, not far from Queen St., Auckland. (Still standing in 1999, identifiable by a plaque over the main entrance with intertwined letters "P.H." Sadly, the building will probably become a casualty of the Britomart development scheme.) He was variously Senior Traveller, Auckland Warehouse Manager, Wellington Manager and finally General Manager. He was well regarded in the commercial world of his day. In 1897 Michael married Daisy Boyd, born 1878, died 04/04/1948. I still (1999) have her engagement ring containing three rubies, said to be the best ring in Hayman & Co's stock at the time. She was regarded askance by the Lewis family because, although good looking, she was a Gentile and her antecedents were comparatively modest. Her non-Jewish status no doubt offended her mother-in-law Rebecca, daughter of a Rabbi. Her father was said to be the regimental tailor of an imperial regiment stationed in New Zealand during the Maori Wars. Her Mother was said to be French, her maiden name was Ceraneau or Cheraneau and she lived to be 100 or so.
(Source: Research by Graham Foster and sent by Mary Watson of New Zealand, Decembr 28, 2006, firstname.lastname@example.org)
More About MICHAEL MORRIS LEWIS: Job: Mercantile house
Children of MICHAEL LEWIS and DAISY BOYD are:
31. ANNIE4 LEWIS (REBECCA3 ISAACS, JACOB MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1) was born July 22, 1870 in Auckland, New Zealand, and died Abt. 1925. She married FREDERICK MYER SOLOMONS December 02, 1896 in Auckland, New Zealand. He was born Abt. 1868 in England.
Notes for ANNIE LEWIS: Annie was born in Auckland and married Frederick Myer Solomons (a tobacconist born in England about 1868) in Auckland 02/12/1896. They had three children, Doreen, Thelma and, according to a family Bible note (copy held by GFF), a girl Olive Meryl, born 31/12/1905, died 30/01/1906 and a boy, Ernest Louis, born 15/11/1907, died 24/12/1908. Ernest, according to Lorraine Elliott, Annie's great granddaughter, fell down stairs and broke his neck. The family moved to Sydney, Australia, in 1906 or 1907 after Frederick was declared bankrupt and to seek treatment for his tuberculosis. (There was little that could be done for the condition at that time other than extended hospitalisation and rest. It would be the 1940's before drugs such as penicillin would be available.) He ran a tobacconist shop in Pitt Street, Sydney and the family lived in the Mosman area. Frederick died in 1925 or 1926 and Annie committed suicide 6 weeks later, no doubt shattered by her husband's death, their frugal life and the earlier loss of two young children.
(Source: Research by Graham Foster and sent by Mary Watson of New Zealand, Decembr 28, 2006, email@example.com)
Children of ANNIE LEWIS and FREDERICK SOLOMONS are:
32. LILLIAN4 LEWIS (REBECCA3 ISAACS, JACOB MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1) was born January 23, 1876, and died November 17, 1962. She married T.A.L. LEN MITCHELL 1913. He was born January 23, 1876, and died November 17, 1962.
More About T.A.L. LEN MITCHELL: Education: Commercial traveller, grain and seed merchant; Emigrated: England
Children of LILLIAN LEWIS and T.A.L. MITCHELL are:
33. CORA MAY5 ISAACS (LEWIS<4, JACOB MYER3, MYER SAMUEL2, YZAAK1) was born January 08, 1871 in Connecticut, USA, and died April 14, 1969 in Florida, USA. She married ROBERT EUGENE BRAINARD April 19, 1893. He was born May 08, 1876 in Connecticut, USA, and died September 25, 1935 in New York, New York, USA.
Children of CORA ISAACS and ROBERT BRAINARD are:
Children of VERA ISAACS and JOSEPH LEWIS are:
35. JACOB NATHAN4 ISAACS (NATHANIEL JOHN3, JACOB MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1) was born August 30, 1877 in Wellington, New Zealand, and died December 23, 1961 in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand. He married LILY OLDERSHAW ROBERTSON April 28, 1915 in Katoomba, Australia. She was born March 27, 1877 in Waltham Abby, Essex, England and died November 1, 1966.
Notes for JACOB NATHAN ISAACS: Jacob Nathan Isaacs' father died when he was quite young and his mother was left with six children to bring up on her own. For a time, Jacob was sent to live with Rabbi Van Staveren until his mother was more settled. When he turned 21 years of age, Jacob went to England for six months and stayed for five years. He studied photography at Ilford and when he came home had his own photographic studio. He eventually sold the business as his eye sight was not the best. When World War I broke out, he tried to enlist but was turned down because of his eyesight. He then went to Sydney, Australia and again tried to enlist but was again turned down. He became a traveling salesman for a time. While in Sydney, he met Lily Oldershaw Robertson and they became engaged and married. The two of them took over what is believed to be a dairy store. They moved to New Zealand around 1918 and settled in Eastbourne.
Notes for LILY OLDERSHAW ROBERTSON: Lily Oldershaw Robertson was born in Essex, England and came with her mother and brothers and sister to Australia when she was thirteen years of age. Her job was Shopkeeper, probably dairy store
Children of JACOB ISAACS and LILY ROBERTSON are:
36. DR. DAVID NATHAN4 ISAACS (NATHANIEL JOHN3, JACOB MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1)) (Source: (1) Family tree prepared by Elizabeth (Liz) Anne Foord in 1997., (2) "The First Jewish Cemetery: Colonial Jewry in Wellington", p.104., (3) "The First Jewish Cemetery: Colonial Jewry in Wellington", p.104.) was born December 09, 1882 in Wellington, New Zealand, and died 1977 in Rona Bay, Eastbourne, New Zealand. He married MAJORIE ROSE SAUNDERS. She was born August 13, 1891 and died in February 19, 1966.
Notes for DR. DAVID NATHAN ISAACS: David Nathan Isaacs was a dental surgeon who was born in Wellington, New Zealand on December 9, 1882, the son of Nathan John and Kate Isaacs.
Source: "A Standard for the People," Wellington Jews at Gallipoli
His initial training in dentistry was in Wellington, before New Zealand had a Dental School. He was admitted to the Dentists' Register in 1904, after three years' apprenticeship. He then studied in London and Toronto, and was awarded DDS by the University of Toronto in 1906. When he returned to New Zealand that year, he set up practice as a dental surgeon in Wellington. In August 1914, he joined the Advance Party of the N.Z. Expeditionary Force, as a dentist in the Medical Corps, that went to Samoa to take over the German Radio Station there. He was awarded the MBE in 1919 for his military service. He remained an officer on the Reserve List until 1948 (not in the territorial force). He resumed his dental practice in Wellington after the war. In 1922, he married Marjorie Rose Saunders. She was born on August 13, 1891 and died in February 19, 1966. They lived in Eastbourne from 1924. He retired in 1957.
Source: e-mail from Dave Isaacs, January 12, 2005<
Notes for Richard Edward ISAACS: Serial Number: NZ423975; RNZAF Trade: Equipment Assistant (Petrol); Date of Enlistment: 1942; Rank Achieved: Leading Aircraftsman; Personal Details: Son of Dr. David Nathan Isaacs, and of Marjorie Rose Isaacs (nee Saunders), of Eastbourne, Lower Hutt. He attended Wellington College up to Matriculation standard, and he enjoyed playing football, tennis, swimming and athletics.
76. ii. SUZANNE CARGILL ISAACS, b. July 10, 1927, Wellington, New Zealand.
37. SAMUEL4 LELYVELD (FANNY3 ISAACS, JACOB MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1) (Source: Family tree prepared by Elizabeth (Liz) Anne Foord in 1997.) was born October 20, 1895 in Leigh-on-Sea, England, and died January 28, 1940 in Lancs and was buried February 1, 1940, East Ham Cemetary. He married EMILY KATE COLVIN. She was born 1895 in London, England, and died about 1989.
More About SAMUEL LELYVELD: Burial: February 01, 1940, East Ham Cemetary
Child of SAMUEL LELYVELD and EMMY COLVIN is:
Notes for JACOB HIRAM SAMUEL ISAACS:
Child of JACOB ISAACS and ETHEL WILLIAMS is:
40. DR.4 ISAACS (?3, DAVID MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1) (Source: e-mail from Kathryn Berman, August 08, 2000.).
Child of DR. ISAACS is:
Child of MIRIAM JOSEPHI and ALFRED STAHL is:
Children of EVA JOSEPHI and HENRY LICHTENSTEIN are:
43. ERNEST4 JOSEPHI (RACHEL3 ISAACS, DAVID MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1)(Source: e-mail from Kathryn Berman, August 8, 2000) died January 23, 1917. He married MINNIE LOUISA.
More About ERNEST HENRY JOSEPHI: Job: Lieutenant H.M. Army
Children of ERNEST JOSEPHI and MINNIE LOUISA are:
Child of DAVID LICHTENSTEIN and MABEL NATHAN is:
Child of ESTHER LICHTENSTEIN and SAMUEL LIPKIN is:
46. JACOB LEWIS4 LICHTENSTEIN (JULIA3 ISAACS, DAVID MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1) was born June 27, 1886 in Cheetham Lancs, England, and died February 07, 1947 in Salford, England. He married (1) REBECCA TENERN. She was born 1886 in Romania, and died 1937 in Manchester, England. He married (2) VICTORIA BRISK.
Child of JACOB LEWIS LICHTENSTEIN and RITA TENERN is:
Child of EVA LICHTENSTEIN and MICHAEL MICHAELS is:
Child of PEARL HAYSACK and FRANK LEVI is:
49. ESTHER MAY (MASSIE)4 HAYSACK (BARNETT3 ISAACS, DAVID MYER2, MYER SAMUEL1) (Source: Letter from Colin Harbury, Feb. 12, 1998.) was born 1887, and died 1948. She married HENRY WALTER HAARBURGER (Source: Letter from Colin Harbury, Feb. 12, 1998.). He was born 1878, and died 1951. He changed his name to Harbury around 1914.
More About ESTHER MAY HAYSACK: Job: Actress in theatres in London and the provinces. Her stage name was May Haysac.
Child of ESTHER HAYSACK and HENRY HAARBURGER is: